Subject: Re: Solid progress bar no longer optional?
From: BlueChip (cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net)
Date: 2004-07-09

At 02:03 09/07/04, you wrote:
>What was the reasoning in removing the setting option
>for the progress bar type? I certainly didn't see any
>consensus here that the solid progress bar was
>superior to the old original style, so it was great
>that the original patch included the settings option,
>and baffling that the extra effort would be made to
>remove the option and just unilaterally modify a
>common display item based on the personal preference
>of one or two users.
>
>=====
>Craig
>
>rb_dev_at_yahoo.com

The vote was thrown open on IRC when a fair number of the active developers
were present. On this occasion it went by concensus.

It would be ideal to have a public voting system which was acknowledged,
but if you knew how many things like this change in a week, you can
understand how, not only would development slow riigghht down, but _I_
propose that after a month of voting on a proposition-or-two every day most
people would lose interest ...The few that were hardy enough to keep going
would probably soon learn that it was easier to monitor the IRC channels.

I was going to qoute the old adage about "pleasing some of the people all
of the time or all of the people some of the time", but without a
pro-active user-base you will find that anything which is important will
find it's way into public discussion.

In the mean time, trivial issues (like "what colour should the playbar be")
will remain in the domain of the developers (cos they do the work) and will
be based on making their life easy, which is obviously of benefit to everybody.

There are many quite logical technical reasons for removing certain
things. If you're up for the techie thing, IRC is the place to learn :)

I suppose that kind of amounts to "tough it's gone" ...but I hope I have
helped you understand why these things are done this way and how and where
to get more detailed information if you need it :)

Being the good little messanger boy I am, I shall now fall on my sword - LOL

BC