Subject: ATA Error: -52 + Noises
From: Jon Vandermeulen (Jon_at_lampsplus.com)
Date: 2004-07-10

My faithful AJBR15, a little over 18 months old, has gone and done it.

This morning, when I power up the unit, I am treated to what sounds like
a cheap laser sound from a video game... Coming out of the unit itself
(not the headphones).

Quietly: *zap*zap*zap*
Louder: *zap*zap*zap* *zap*zap*zap*

Then this message: ATA Error: -52

Debug (Rockbox 2.2):
PADR: 827F
PBDR: BDBF
AN0: 3FF
AN1: 3FF
AN2: 00x (<- x flickers 0-1-2)
AN3: 13x (<- x flickers E-F-0)
AN4: 00x (<- x flickers 0-1-2)
AN5: 00x (<- x flickers 0-1-2)
AN6: 2Fx (<- x flickers 9-A-B)
AN7: 00x (<- x flickers 0-1-2-3)
ATA: Master, 0x200

I figure the Hard drive is toast, which is fine (I've been wanting to
upgrade to an 80GB Travelstar), and the noise certainly concerned me.

What I need to know is: Is the Box OK, but the hard drive toast? If I
replace the drive, will the unit still work (assuming I don't toast the
unit in the process)?

Jon