Subject: Re: OT: Hardware problem

Re: OT: Hardware problem

From: Markus Grebenstein <sassodimorte_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:13:04 +0200

I've got exactly the same problem on my JBS20 and we managed to find the
cause for this behaviour, but not the part which is broken. Perhaps we
manage to figure it out together:
We measured the voltage applied to the HD when starting the JB and
recognized that voltage is 5V if the HD isn't present while it is
breaking down to below 1V when the HD is present. So obviously the
powersupply for the HD is broken somewhere and we think it should be one
of the fets switching power on and off. To see wether the unit would
work if the voltage is present, we connected the power- pins of the ATA-
Connector directly to 5V from an external powersupply. The unit works
fine this way but it's not a proper workaround because the HD will stay
in standby even when the whole unit is switched of.

So in my eyes the first thing you might do is measure voltage on the
ATA- Power pins, when you switch on your unit to see if our problem is
really the same.

Cheers Markus