Subject: Re: OT: DC IN broken
From: BlueChip (cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net)
Date: 2004-07-12

At 11:58 12/07/04, you wrote:
>--- Salokyn <bazar.nicolas.gif_at_libertysurf.fr> wrote:
> > 1.3B). The problem come from a 0 (zero) Ohm CMS resistor at the bottom
>
>since we're already in an OT thread, what exactly is the purpose of a 0ohm
>resistor? it doesn't
>seem right to call something with no resistance a resistor.
>
>-scott

The purpose is two fold.

First off, they are used as an "s-link" ...if you used wire to make the
connection you would also need a wire-placing machine along with your smt
placing machine - very expensive.

Secondly, if a 0ohm resistor is used in a power circuit and there is a
short, it will blow up almost instantaneously - very useful ...a cheap fuse :)

BC