Subject: Re: Bug with shuffle/insert playlist!
From: Mat Holton (
Date: 2004-07-15

>> Really? I would have thought that if the mode was on shuffle then the
>> next track froma playlist would be randomly chosen.
>> If it's not then perhaps it should be?
>That's the difference between "random" and "shuffle". Rockbox shuffles
>the playlist when you play it. When you later on add new tracks with the
>queue feature, the playlist is not reshuffled.
>Rockbox isn't picking the next track randomly, it picks the next track
>in the (shuffled) playlist.

Is it a major problem to have a true Random Play Mode then? I also think the whole enqueing system
is Rockbox's biggest downfalls. This became more apparent when I recently demonstrated Rockbox
to a friend who was considering buying a new MP3 player. He though it was far too much hassle to enque
a song, he ended up buying an iPod. I personally think the Play button should come up with a menu containing
the following options:

    "Play Track"
    "Enqueue Track"

With the default being "Play Track". That way the user could 'double click' Play button to play a song and enqueuing
a track could be done with one hand. The Existing On+Play Functionality could still remain.

What do you all think?

"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders
what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of ."

 They Might Be Giants.

Surface Inspection Ltd