Subject: Re: Bug with shuffle/insert playlist!

Re: Bug with shuffle/insert playlist!

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:20:12 +0200

Mat Holton wrote:

> Is it a major problem to have a true Random Play Mode then?

Yes. First of all, people have different opinions on what "true random
play" means. The "shuffle" approach is a lot easier to handle
technically, since the sequence of songs is static. For instance, if we
just picked the next song randomly, we would have to keep a a history of
the played songs, since we want to be able to play the previous song by
pressing Left.

> I also think the whole enqueing system is Rockbox's biggest
> downfalls.

Really, why? Doesn't it work?

> This became more apparent when I recently demonstrated
> Rockbox to a friend who was considering buying a new MP3 player. He
> though it was far too much hassle to enque a song, he ended up buying
> an iPod.

Then he would probably be much better off with an iPod, because he
obviously wasn't after advanced functionality.

> I personally think the Play button should come up with a
> menu containing the following options:
>
> "Play Track" "Enqueue Track"

The whole idea behind our queueing system is that you are able to choose
where the track should be queued, after the currently playing song or
last in the playlist (or after the last queued song).

I agree that the interface could be easier, but I don't agree that the
current functionality should be stripped down to a simple "enqueue",
whatever that means.

Linus