Subject: Re: "R" prize
From: Neon John (
Date: 2004-07-15

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:54:28 -0700, Marcus Bryner <>

>Hey, check this out. It was posted on Neuros forum 2 days ago. Is this
>anything the Rockbox community would be interested in? They're offering full
>"firmware development tools, supply source code, schematics, virtually
>anything necessary to accomplish their goals." I think I already know what
>Neon John thinks of this platform, but just thought I'd throw this out

The neuros platform would be adequate once all the company BS is resolved.
Not great - too bulky and non-replaceable battery - but OK. The one major
problem I see is that it is not currently commonly available from retailers.
(I'm assuming this is still true, I haven't checked.) That is one of my
requirements. However, if RockBox were to show up on a Neuros and nothing
else did, I'm flexible :-)

It's funny. Every time I've blasted the company about Open Source, a crack
has opened in the stone wall and something has shaken out. I certainly have
to wonder about the timing of this latest announcement vs my last post on the
subject :-)

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN