Subject: Re: intelligent shutdown?
From: Marc Tricou (MarcTricou_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-07-17

Hi,

> is implemented in hardware. There is nothing the software can do to
> stop the drive shutting down if you press that Off switch for long
> enough.

But (not sure if this idea has already been mentioned) could the disk shut
off with the press of the off button so that the HD doesn't wine. I realised
that the drive makes some grrrt after the disk turn down time. If press off
long before that grrrt that it wines, if i press it after it, it doesn't
(although the disk is still spinning).

So i assume that the grrrt is some kind of shut off for the disk? Heads
parking?

Wouldn't it be possible to force this grrrt when the off button comes down
(on keydown, know what i mean?) so that the disk is in _any_ case ready to
shut off without wine?

Regards,
Marc