Subject: Re: intelligent shutdown?
From: Neon John (
Date: 2004-07-20

That seems way too complicated to me. Seems like the simple solution would be
to command spin-down when the OFF key is pressed. That would give plenty of
time to spin down before the hardware "hold-off" function activates.

My usual shutdown sequence is to hit the PLAY button to pause, feel for the
drive vibration to stop and then press and hold the OFF button. The above
proposal would simply automate the process.

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:01:55 +0200 (MEST), "Ronald Teune" <>

>ok... now i understand :P
>maybe a double click to spin down, and then a long press for total poweroff?
>or would that take too long?
>this way you cant accidentally double click.
>or make some specific double-click time, e.g. you have to doubleclick in .2
>> At 22:52 18/07/04, you wrote:
>> >So... what's wrong with the original press-OFF-for-one second to
>> shutdown?
>> >Doubleclicking doesn't seem faster to me, anyway...
>> >And now we're talking about shutdown anyway, would it be possible to make
>> >a quick spindown code in the poweroff thingy? Or just park the head? So
>> >that the drive doesn't need to make that noise when powering off? Or is
>> >that not possible?
>> >
>> >Ronald
>> >__
>> That is the precise point of the double-click code ;)
>> It shuts down before powering off.
>> The "hold-off" event is hardware NOT software.
>> BC

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN