Subject: Re: Hard drive question
From: Lee Pilgrim (
Date: 2004-07-20

HI Tobi,

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:52:55 +0200, Tobi <> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am planning to build a new hd into my Recorder. Are any things to be
> considered?
>4200 rpm or 5400 rpm (power consumption)

A 5400 rpm drive would be useless in the archos because your unit can
not even read
it very fast at 4500 rpm, and it would also waste power

>big disk cache,

The archos does not even use this cache, so that is also useless.

> shock resistance (red light dead)?

Most drives should be fine. I have seen a a few reports that the IBM
travelstars were very sensetive to motion.

> Which drive can you recommend?
Whatever is a good price :)