Subject: New UI for Windows - The word is out...
From: BlueChip (
Date: 2004-07-21

<midk> actually, i tried bc's sim patch with his devkit and it didn't compile..
<LinusN> it's outdated
<midk> no, his newer one on his site
<midk> /bin/ld: cannot find -lcomdlg32
<midk> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
<midk> make[1]: *** [/home/guest/rockbox-devel/build/uisw32.exe] Error 1
<LinusN> i think i'll merge some of his changes into CVS
<LinusN> missing comdlg32 library...
<LinusN> i wonder why he needs that
<Kaboofa> because HE'S AN EVIL WITCH!!!!

Well it seems the word is out.

I had not mentioned it yet because I found a bug in it a couple of nights
back and I have not had a chance to fix it yet.

If you exit the _new_ Win32Sim when the screen is displayed in
true-aspect-ratio, the screen is displayed as a teeny weeny window when you
start it up next.

The solution? Erase the uisw32.cfg file, and re-run -OR- run the sim,
press [PgDn] and exit (the cfg file will be updated)

The reason? The startup code does not understand zoom=(-N) ...which is the
true-aspect-ratio marker. (note: zoom=(+N) works just fine.)

Knowing that, anyone wishing to play with this version should read the
below reply addressed to MK, and venture forth to for the update.

All the hype about the big-fat-pile of new features is included in the file, along with programmers notes, and updated source files.

MK, Did you put the libcomdlg32.a file from the zip into the right
directory? (see programmers notes at the end of the manual)

I must also offer a rather embarrased apology that I have used a "*" to
denote a comment at the top of the makefile, where I should have used a #

Although why it has been compiling on my machine is anybodies guess.

In the mean time, either erase my version history addendum, or replace the
* with a #

Because I added a feature to select whatever colour you like for your sim
...I call the standard windows colour dialogue box.

To pre-emp any generic "why" (from whoever) I must first quote George
Mallory: "Because it was there" and as a caveat, add: "I wanted to try my
hand at windows programming, cos I've never done it before."

LMAO ...Fear not, I have not moved to the Dark Side (Windoze programming)
...Just "dabbled" out of interest ;)