Subject: Re: Update: Test - Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)
From: Mat Holton (
Date: 2004-07-22

This all sounds rather exciting!
However, I have some questions:

1. Am I correct in saying that this does not work on the FMR yet?
2. What benefit will this have? I assume battery time, but it doesn't seem like a great saving to me. Has anyone
performed any calculations that might determine the possible battery time increases?
3. Currently, it is a safe operation to reflash from the UCL file as there is a backup of the original Archos OS
in the Rom as well. Will this run-from-flash remove the original OS, therefore making the opertaion of reflashing more risky?

-----Original Message-----From: Thomas Heuving <>To: <>Sent: 22/07/2004 11:18Subject: Re: Update: Test - Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)Jens Arnold schrieb am Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:17:51 +0200:

> I did optimize ROMbox some more in the meantime (a few more KB

> of ram free), and there is now a build for the Recorder V2 as

> well (untested by me, since I don't own one)

> V1:

> - If flashing went ok: switch off the box and start it again

> - Look into Info->Rockbox Info. The buffer value should be

> >1.790 MB (It reads 1.798 MB for me. I have the number of files

> per dir set to 300, and the maximum playlist size to 5000)

I flashed the first version and got no problems at all, with this

new version I get at whopping 3K more (1.786MB before, now it say's

1.789MB; per dir setting is 400, maximum playlist 5000).

Haven't had any problems yet.

Thomas Heuving

"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of ."

They Might Be Giants.