Subject: Re: Update: Test - Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-07-22

> This all sounds rather exciting!
> However, I have some questions:
>
> 1. Am I correct in saying that this does not work on the FMR yet?

Yes, because the larger Archos software in the FM leaves us 12 KB less space
for an uncompressed Rockbox image, and this is not enough.
As I've posted before, the V2 recorder has 4KB less left than the V1. Again
no fit, but this can be achieved by some optimization.

> 2. What benefit will this have? I assume battery time, but it
> doesn't seem like a great saving to me. Has anyone
> performed any calculations that might determine the possible battery
> time increases?

Jens is currently measuring this. We have ~10% more buffer, so the saving
can only be in that order of magnitude. Not too much, but if it comes for
free...

> 3. Currently, it is a safe operation to reflash from the UCL file as
> there is a backup of the original Archos OS
> in the Rom as well. Will this run-from-flash remove the original OS,
> therefore making the opertaion of reflashing more risky?

No risk. It's the same layout as before. But the Rockbox image doesn't get
decompressed to RAM and executed there. Instead, it is directly started.
This feature exists in my bootloader since the beginning, I just haven't
used it so far.

Jörg

--
+++ GMX DSL-Tarife 3 Monate gratis* +++ Nur bis 25.7.2004 +++
Bis 24.000 MB oder 300 Freistunden inkl. http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl