Subject: Re: Weird sounds while charging
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2004-07-26

> Frederik Möllers wrote:
> > If I charge my Jukebox (Studio 20), sometimes I hear sounds like if
> sparks
> > are jumping over because a pin is broken or something like that. If I
> move
> > the plug from the charger a bit, I can sometimes stop the sound. Nothing
> > seems to have happened to my Jukebox, it still works without problems,
> but
> > the sound is pretty annoying, since I always sleep next to the charging
> box
> > :(. Does somebody know the problem and can maybe help me?
> I haven't heard of it before, but it might be a grounding problem. Open
> it up and look for cold solder joints.

I think he's talking about the noise of the DC/DC converter which does the
charging. Many boxes including mine have that, it varies with the impedance
of the power supply (when moving the charge plug).
No reason to worry, it just shows that Archos used older components. Modern
converters use a high, non-audible switching frequency (even up in the MHz
region) and can go with smaller inductors than the bulky ones in our box.

250 MB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS/Monat, 1000 MB Online-Festplatte
Jetzt GMX TopMail kostenlos testen