Subject: Re: AW: AW: Porting Rockbox to XCleff 800 / i.Beat 500
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2004-07-26

VooDoo wrote:

> At the moment I make my path through the Documentation's of all the
> chips =). Maybe I find a way. How did you start with RockBox? What where
> your steps?

We took it apart and found out which chips it used. After we found out
which CPU it used, we worked on descrambling the firmware. Then we used
a multimeter and a little bit of disassembling the firmware to find out
how the hardware was connected.

We then wrote our own firmware based on that.

We actually didn't disassemble much of the original firmware at all.

In the XClef case, I don't think the firmware is scrambled, so that step
can fortunately be skipped.

Still, focus on the hardware, the original firmware is of practically no
use to us, other than to verify that we have understood the hardware.

Linus