Subject: RE: AW: AW: Porting Rockbox to XCleff 800 / i.Beat 500
From: Stuart Tedford (stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk)
Date: 2004-07-26

> If the firmware needs to be flashed, you can be certain that
> there is a "backdoor" via a serial port, or a dedicated debug port
> like BDM or something.

Hmmm, kind of a dangerous assumption to make. Stuff I've worked with have
the flash chips programmed before PCB assembly, and yes, you can re-flash
the chips including the "boot blocks" via software, possibly rendering the
device useless.

>The developers must have a way to reprogram dead units.

Not in the case above, unless you call harware guys with SMD rework
equipment "Developers" ;-) Sometimes it is easier|cheaper to replace a
whole PCB than to provide the ability to re-flash a chip on it. It is even
done deliberately in some cases.

Stu.