Subject: Re: Update: Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)
From: Brian Wolven (
Date: 2004-07-31

Fred wrote:

> What is the real difference between RomBox and Jörg's "Rockbox in
> flash" ? I got an FM Recorder so I can't test RomBox, but I'm rather
> happy with Jörg's method (except that it doesn't seem to stop charging
> when I just plug in the sector cable, and crahes when I return from
> Archos's charging screen to Rockbox, a clean reboot fixes that small
> issue) :

According to Jens:

I just did some more work in getting Rockbox running directly
from flash, leaving more ram for the mp3 buffer and therefore
probably improving battery runtime (still to be tested).
This development was started by Jörg.

So it executes a flashed copy of rockbox *from* the flash memory, rather
than copying it to RAM and executing it there. Consequently you have an
additional chunk of RAM available to buffer data from the HD, ~equal in
size to the rockbox code.