Subject: Dead Drive! Compact Flash - IDE Adapter

Dead Drive! Compact Flash - IDE Adapter

From: Abdul-Khaliq Nathekar <abdul.nathekar_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 02:09:03 +0100

All,

Well, my Hitachi 20G Drive gave up the ghost yesterday, *PANIC* ATA: -1 No
spin-up!! And, I didn't back up recorded files for the last 4 days!! :-(
And ideas of recovering the data, most welcome!!

So, in my moment of need, I bit the bullet and ordered a Compact Flash to
IDE Adapter from www.cfide.co.uk
Product is CFIDEMOB
http://www.cfide.co.uk/compact_flash_ide_adapter_cfide_mob.shtml £17.50
+P&P

It arrived this morning. Plugged it in this evening, and guess what....
It works!!

I'm using 256MB PQI Ultra Fast CF card System reports as Samsung CF/ATA.
Jukebox Recorder 20 - Blue corners
Flashed with new boot loader and V2.2 Rockbox

Some Observations:

* Boot-up time is immediate!!!!! <1/2 second!!
* Writing .cfg file takes ages!!! Nearly 30 Secs!
* Jukebox is a lot lighter
* Not done any power tests yet
* Cannot attach the main screws on the sides, as the adapter has
mounting holes on PCB (Flat)
* No Drive spin noise recorded when Line-In selected.
* Recording with internal mic is now a usable option.. No drive spin
or head seek noise!
* Bookmark created immediately

Can someone donate an IBM Microdrive?? 256MB is not enough for some
recordings!! Regular backup help here!!

Hope this helps..

Thanks all, for all you hard work..

What are the chances of adding a feature to start recording with a timer
function? Maybe multiple timers? I could really do with something like
that.. Please...

Abdul