Subject: Re: ROMbox for fm recorders?
From: Christi Alice Scarborough (christi_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Date: 2004-08-01

Tom Cole wrote:
> I know this is an old thread but nobody has suggested a simple (to me)
> idea for overcoming this problem. That is, to have one (or more) zones
> of compression. Compress the part(s) of ROMBox that will be loaded into
> RAM and leave the rest uncompressed for access in ROM.

I suspect that that would be quite inefficient since the decompression
code and the compressed data are then "dead space" in the ROM - the
space saving wouldn't be that great.

One possible alternative scheme is to have mutually exclusive bits of
code (eg the WPS, FM radio screen, playlist viewer) stored as overlays
on disk and loaded into RAM on demand, reducing the size of the
uncompressed ROM. The problem is that you then increase disk access and
maybe lose as much as you gain.

It would be interesting to see some performance figures for ROMbox vs.
Rockbox so we can tell if the optimisation is worth the hit in terms of
allowable executable size. Rockbox is, after all, likely to continue
growing in size as more features are added.

Christi