Subject: RE: RB Directory listing order
From: Stuart Tedford (stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk)
Date: 2004-08-02

> > There is nothing "natural" about
> > it and I disagree with it at a fundamental level.
>
> Lol. We obviously went to very different schools. I was
> always taught 12
> comes after 2 not between 1 and 2. ;)

Not if we are dealing with strings, which is what filenames are. This
"natural sort order" is actually breaking a second standard (ASCII), as well
as breaking the leading zero standard. Maybe you think 2 wrongs make a
right, I don't.

I didn't really want to start a flame session or anything (so I shouldn't
have made the AOL comment, so sorry for any offence I caused), but I feel
strongly that standards are usually there for a reason - i.e. because a lot
of people think something is a good idea. So anything that breaks a
standard should have a very good reason to do so, and I don't consider this
to be one.

Stu.