Subject: Re: Metronome enhancements?
From: Matthias Wientapper (m.wientapper_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-08-02

Stefan Hahn wrote:

[...]
> So here are some ideas:
>
> - include bars, giving the possibility to change count
> and bar (e.g. 4/4 3/4 7/11)

Changing the count should be easy to do. This would automatically
introduce bars because the "tock" sound would always remain the same.

> - indicate the first beat by a different frequency

I would prefer a different volume for the first beat. A different
frequency would require another sample of a "tock".
(As a matter of fact - I've never found a nice "tick" as the opposing
part of the "tock". The sound that is implemented is from a real
metronome and they only have make a "tock" sound. Maybe a "tick-tock"
would sound more like a huge clock... Difficult subject... ;-) )

> - include quarter notes, eighth-notes,
> sixteenth-notes, eighth-note triplets (different
> frequencies)

Triplets might become tricky to implement.

> - allow volume settings per quarter/eighth/...

I could imagine volume settings for two different volumes - one for the
first beat and one for the rest.

> This would be a bummer for the musicians w/ rockbox!
>
> So: would this be possible?

I guess so ;-)

I am thinking about implementing a simple tuner into the metronome
plugin (e.g. sine wave "a" at 110Hz).

My holidays are over, so I might have some more time for programming now ;-P

/Matthias

--
                          Matthias Wientapper
                          m.wientapper_at_gmx.de