Subject: Re: Dead drive, resurrection!!!
From: Neon John (johngd_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 2004-08-02

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:33:53 +0200, "Jürgen Hestermann"
<juergen.hestermann_at_gmx.de> wrote:

>> > The head had not parked, and seemed to be stuck on the platter. After a
>> > little persuasion, the heads landed home, and the platter was free..
>> Stuck disks may get free if the drive is twisted with rapid acceleration
>> aroud the spindle axis. If this doesn't help, you can try to slap the edge
>> of the drive against something rigid, in a direction you suspect the heads
>> to go outward.
>
>Yes, I once had a PC where the head of the disk stuck on the platter
>after *every* shutdown. On every startup I had to kick the pc which let
>the head go free again. I expected that this rude treatment would damage
>some parts one day. But I did this for years *daily* without any effect.

Amazing what we have to do sometimes to get the $^&&* computer to work. I had
a 386 that I used for oh, 10 years that would NOT start up unless the
processor chip was cold. Once on, it did just fine. I left it on most of the
time. When I had to power cycle I had a can of canned air that I sprayed the
chip with while holding the can upside down. When the chip was good and
frosty the computer would boot.

John

---
John De Armond