Subject: Re: Updated: Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)
From: Neon John (
Date: 2004-08-04

I played around some and figured out the situation. If I've stopped and are
at the file listing screen and want to resume again I now have to press OFF,
wait for the safe shutdown screen to go away and then press ON. RESUME then
works as before.

I don't like this at all. This is just another subtle degradation of what
used to be a smooth and fast user interface that could be operated eyes-off.
I've somehow managed to wait until the drive spun down before holding the OFF
key. I've also been able to RESUME after a stop without having to look at the
jukebox. Not now. Now I have look to see when the safe shutdown message goes

If we have to have this safe shutdown screen, please at least make it optional
so that I can turn it off.

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 07:30:53 +0200, (Jens Arnold) wrote:

>Hello John
>> I just installed this on my JBR V1 and noticed that the
>> ability to do a resume from stop, hitting <off> and then <on>
>> is gone. I get the "hit off to shut down" message. Did resume
>> get moved to another key combo or is it gone? If it's gone,
>> please give it back!
>Hmm, resume is neither gone nor moved, and it still works for me
>with Rombox on a V1 recorder.
>If you hit OFF from the wps, the resume position is saved and
>you get back to the file browser. If you hit OFF a second time
>(accidentally), it does of course show the "hit off to shut
>down" message. This is caused by the new safe shutdown feature
>introduced by Linus, so if you hit OFF another time, the box
>will shut down safely, first saving the settings and then spin
>down the disk before powering off. If you hit another button or
>wait about one sec the message will go away.
>Either way, the resume position should be available, and the box
>should resume according to your resume settings if you hit ON.
>Of course you may have to hit ON two times if you accidentally
>pressed OFF two times before and are fast, because the first ON
>will only make the "hit off to shut down" message disappear.
>Please do also check if "Resume" is set to "No".
>Regards, Jens

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN