Subject: External Serial LCD Display / Keypad
From: Andy Finney (
Date: 2004-08-05

Hi all,

I was curious to see if anybody has tried using
Rockbox with an external LCD display...

It would be really good if I could get it working - it
has got some nice features - "General Purpose Output"
connectors to control external devices, and more
interesting - a keypad interface. This basically means
that I could control my Archos remotely with a keypad.

This is the model that I own from Matrix Orbital : -

I am not scared of writing a small bit of C to
interface to the LCD. However, I have a couple of

1. The serial interface on the LCD requires 3 cables -
Transmit, Receive and Ground. I believe that there is
only one serial data line from the Archos - am I out
of luck?

2. The Archos only supplies 3v on this serial line
from what I am led to believe. Is the normal serial
voltage 5v? Will I need a small circuit to amplify
this voltage?

Thanks in advance,

___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun!