Subject: Emergency Charge?
From: David Henderson (
Date: 2004-08-08

Would it be feasible to implement an emergency charge feature?

The situation I'm thinking of is when you manage to discharge your batteries
so far down, that there is not enough power to start charging normally.

This is what normally happens to me:

(JBR off)

Plug in

Boots into charging screen

*Says Not Charging for a minute or so* - In this time the lights are on at
some point, and the HDD has been known to spin up (I think)

The screen gradually fades away and it turns off before the batteries get
any juice.

Now would it be possible to have an emergency charge mode (perhaps holding
F2 at boot or something)
- No lights or anything on
- HDD spinups disabled
- Charging allowed immediately
- Perhaps time limited or with another limit - so that it doesn't damge the
box - perhaps reboot into normal charging once there is sufficient power to
start normal harging

Any thoughts anyone?

David Henderson