Subject: Re: how much noise is from the Archos?
From: Mat Holton (mathew.holton_at_surface-inspection.com)
Date: 2004-08-10

>And don't forget that each no name low cost soundcard today achives
>orders of magnitude better signal to noise ratios than the equipment the
>Beatles used for their recordings. The quality of a song can't be
>measured by a SNR figure...

Absolutly! I think i'm getting more obsessed about sound quality than my brother is to be honest.
His band has kind of gone after that 'low-fi' sound in the past anyway.
Their first album is very low-fi - recorded on a four-track (tape-hiss), mixed down onto mini-disk (some compression)
with beats recorded using re-birth and sampled out through a very low quality sound-card (he left the CD and microphone
outputs enabled so that increased the noise massivly).
But still, it's the music itself that is most important and as a result 'Reckless Engineers' (the album title) is an excellent
album!

I think a small amount of tape hiss especially creates a nice warm sound anyway!

cheers,

mat

"Move around folks, push it back there, move along, shows over folks, let him breath, step lively"

John Linnell
Surface Inspection Ltd
www.surface-inspection.com