Subject: Re: Re: Metronome enhancements?
From: Stefan Hahn (stefhahn_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2004-08-11

Just returing after a week off I was happy to see
Matthias' and Linus' reply on the subject. Let me add
some comments:

Matthias Wientapper (m.wientapper_at_gmx.de)wrote:
> Changing the count should be easy to do. This would
> automatically
> introduce bars because the "tock" sound would always
> remain the same.
> > - indicate the first beat by a different frequency

> I would prefer a different volume for the first
beat. A different
> frequency would require another sample of a "tock".
> (As a matter of fact - I've never found a
> nice "tick" as the opposing
> part of the "tock". The sound that is implemented is

> from a real
> metronome and they only have make a "tock" sound.
> Maybe a "tick-tock"
> would sound more like a huge clock... Difficult
> subject... ;-) )

Well, I did spend some time on the subject, checked
the code etc. Probably we can go for a shared action
here :)

Some questions:
- how did you create the values for the static
unsigned char sound[]?
--> reason for this question is that I have access to
one of those high-end metronomes (see:
http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=64) where I
could record the sounds from.
Also a talking (one two three four....) one is around

> ..... Triplets might become tricky to implement.

No. You just need to look at the logic of the BPMs -
quarter gives the base BPM, eighths are 2*BPM,
eighth-note triplets are 3*BPM , sixteenth-note are
4*BPM

> > - allow volume settings per quarter/eighth/...
>

> I could imagine volume settings for two different >
volumes - one for the
> first beat and one for the rest.

Well, I can imagine percentages of volume per
quarter/eigthth/eighth triplet/sixteenth of a main
volume

As I said above, I'd be happy to join in and do some
programming here (yes, once upon a time I finished my
computer science studies), but as I don't want to
destroy anything I'd be pleased and all of us would be
on the safe side if we could go for a shared action
here. Let me know what you prefer.

ciao,
Stefan