Subject: Re: confusing instructions for rombox/flash programming.
From: George Michaelson (ggm_at_apnic.net)
Date: 2004-08-13

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:43:59 +0200 (MEST) "[IDC]Dragon" <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de> wrote:

>Have you read the instructions?
>These are the simple ones:
>http://rockbox.haxx.se/twiki/bin/view/Main/BlindFlashing
>And here's the full version:
>http://rockbox.haxx.se/twiki/bin/view/Main/FlashingRockbox
>
>If this is still unclear, please tell us where and why.

nope, these are clear.. as far as they go. Since ROMbox is new, they don't refer
to it.

>At least one confusion is about ROMbox, a new experimental flavour of
>running Rockbox straight from ROM:
>http://rockbox.haxx.se/twiki/bin/view/Main/RomBox

yes. this is what I was referring to. But thats now been clarified. The procedure
is the same.

>> do you have to deploy rombox as a .bin only, and does it wipe the second
>> image?
>
>Nothing is wiped, you need the .bin only once, for your very first flashing.
>Imagine it like formatting the flash.
>
>> eg, is it sufficient to rolo into abjrec.ajz, and then auto-flash the
>> supplied .ucl file in the .rockbox/ directory
>
>Yes, this is the standard update procedure.
>
>> or do you have to manually
>> create and deploy a .bin image?
>
>No.
>
>> the zip doesn't supply a .bin :-(
>
>My webspace does, see the instructions about initial flashing.
>
>Jörg
>
>--
>NEU: WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR* - auch für DSL-Wechsler!
>GMX DSL = supergünstig & kabellos http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

George Michaelson       |  APNIC                 |  See you at APNIC 18
Email: ggm_at_apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton    |  Nadi, Fiji
Phone: +61 7 3858 3150  |  QLD 4064 Australia    |  31 Aug -3 Sep 2004
  Fax: +61 7 3858 3199  |  http://www.apnic.net  |  www.apnic.net/meetings/18