Subject: Re: confusing instructions for rombox/flash programming.
From: Jens Arnold (
Date: 2004-08-13

Hello George

> Thanks for the clarification Johnathan, but I believe ROMbox
> may require transition through the ROLO'd ajbrec.ajz
> specifically to make sure the image being run is not in ROM,
> so the .ucl can be loaded into ROM, to then become
> run-from-ROM state code.

> So, I still remain confused, if the sequence for ROMbox is
> 'special' enough that you have to do a specific sequence like:

> 1) unpack ROMbox .zip into tree, with ajbrec.ajz and
> .rockbox/rockbox.ucl
> 2) [on]+[f1] OR normal start, ROLO ajbrec.ajz

> 3) walk into .rockbox, click on rockbox.ucl

This is the correct sequence, an unfortunately I forgot to
document this in the wiki. Fixed. ;)

> OR
> have rockbox.bin, use .rockbox/rocks/firmware_flash.rock

There is no rockbox.bin supplied, so you can't do that easily.

> Steps 1) and 2) I think are stated on the wiki. 3) is still a
> bit 'diffuse'

I changed that part, hopefully it is a bit clearer now.

However, please remember that rombox is still considered to be
an experimental version of rockbox. It shouldn't be tried as a
beginner's first exercise.

Especially the recording feature doesn't always work correctly
(as described under "About the recording bug"). Although I found
a possible solution, the fix is not yet contained in the
provided builds, since I'm still testing it to find if there
are no ill side effects.

Regards, Jens