Subject: Re: News about charging problem ???
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2004-08-20

Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there were several discussions about that charging problem of the flashed
> JBR's during the last weeks.
> I mean that problem, that Rockbox isn't sometimes charging batteries (even
> not with power adapter plugged in).
>
> How about the progress on that item ?
> Is there any solution available yet ?

I don't have the complete picture of the problem, but the charging
algorithm has a few safety measures that prevents it from charging, to
protect the batteries:

1) It doesn't charge for longer than 450 minutes for 1500mAh batteries,
so a weak charger may not be able to charge them in time.

2) It doesn't trickle charge for longer than 12 hours

3) It doesn't restart an interrupted charging cycle until after a grace
period of 60 minutes, to let the batteries cool off.

Number 1) is actually dynamically calculated depending on the battery
voltage when the charging started, so there is a possibility that this
calculation fails, and it stops charging prematurely.

We added these safety limits to be on the safe side, since we didn't
want Rockbox to kill batteries, and scare away people from using it.

We might of course tweak these values for more aggressive charging.

Linus