Subject: Re: Dead JBM 20
From: jhagani_at_earthlink.net
Date: 2004-08-22

Markus:

I suspect that my JBR v1(flashed with CVS-040630 build) has become
incapacitated by the same problem. When I turn it on, I get an ATA
ERROR -41 (a failed wait_for_rdy() in the ata driver). I pulled out
the original Archos-installed hard drive and tested it in my laptop PC
and it works just fine - similarly the laptop's drive yields the same
ATA ERROR -41 in the JBR.

This leads me to rule out the HD and instead suspect that the JBR may
not be producing sufficient power to the HD.

Would you (or anyone else) be so kind as to give me step-by-step
instructions as to how I can check the voltage going to the HD as well
as how I can check/reinforce the solder points on the 40pin HD plug?
The JBR is disassembled and my multimeter and soldering iron are at
the ready.

I've done quite a bit of searching and it seems that this problem is
becoming more common, so I'm sure any guidance will prove useful to
many other past and future JBR mourners.

Thanks to all,

Jim (6 days and counting since my JBR went R.I.P....)