Subject: Re: Volunteering for porting Rockbox
From: Christi Alice Scarborough (
Date: 2004-08-25

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 08:43:21AM +0200, [IDC]Dragon wrote:
>From what you described, low-level hacking some new hardware is not
> apropriate for you, but there is more to it. You mentioned "porting
> Rockbox", which to a great deal means making Rockbox portable. For this kind
> of work, we don't need actual hardware, nor be too specific about it.

Oh, I can write low level device code, and indeed have done so in the
past - I've even written for PIC microcontrollers. The hardware side
of things does catch me out from time to time, but as long as I have a
specification to work to, I'm usually OK.

> One of the ideas I had in the past weeks (without a chance of having the
> necessary time, my job is demanding, plus we're building a house) is to make
> a proof-of-concept by porting Rockbox to the PC.

Point taken. This'd also be a good idea for testing purposes. I'll
try to have a look at this over the next few weekes. I'll probably
work on a Linux port initially, as I'm more familiar with programming
unices, and don't really have the right tools for Windows development.

Christi Alice Scarborough -
Not a member of the Lusty Wench Cabal (TINC)          Caffeine != Sheep
"Taken out of context I must seem so strange" Ani DiFranco