Subject: Feature Request: USB HDD only Custom Rom.

Feature Request: USB HDD only Custom Rom.

From: Joel Wiramu Pauling <aenertia_at_aenertia.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:48:58 +1200

Sorry this is repost the list handler didn´t like my gpg sig.
--
Hi there,
I´ve had a look at the feature request lists and these seem to be the
most relevant numbers:
[ 770014 ] Disable USB battery charge
[ 638529 ] Auto-spindown on USB mode
[ 906677 ] format JB6000 in hfs mode
[ 982182 ] Shared harddisk access USB host PC & flashed Rockbox?
Basically my Jukebox recorder arvies next week, (it´s a 20gb model not
v2). So I don´t think it charges through USB anyway(correct me if I´m
wrong), so not all of this is relevant.
I have also just purchased a toshiba e800 (with usb host port). And I
want to be able to use the rockbox, as an external hdd, and just play
via the e800 (for ogg etc). Is this currently possible? (God I hope so,
the toshiba´s do work like this with ipods).
Now i´ve been reading about the compressed rom images and ,how two are
actually stored and are switchable at boot. AFAIK it´s going to be
impossible to have the rockbox plugged into my ppc and also be able to
have it function as a mp3 player.
Want I want to do is have those two images like so.
1 as rockbox recorder rom standardly configured. And the second one as
an ultra optimised external HDD only image.
I want to make sure that I can get decent battery life from the rockbox
in conjuction with my ppc. So I would like to see, a rockbox image, with
optimised HDD spindown, turned off LCD, and the smallest memory
footprint, since all it needs to do is basically manage the usb
connection and disk access.
Now I´m far from a programmer but I can happily compile (I run a
Linux/*nix only setup) So i´m hopping someone can generate something
like this for me.
Anyone done this type of thing before. What type of battery life can I
expect out of the rockbox running like this?
Any help and comments are appreciated.
Kind regards
Joel Wiramu
New Zealand