Subject: RE: Feature Request: USB HDD only Custom Rom.
From: Stuart Tedford (stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk)
Date: 2004-08-25

> Basically my Jukebox recorder arvies next week, (it´s a 20gb model not
> v2). So I don´t think it charges through USB anyway(correct me if I´m
> wrong), so not all of this is relevant.

Thats right, it does not charge via USB.

> I have also just purchased a toshiba e800 (with usb host port). And I
> want to be able to use the rockbox, as an external hdd, and just play
> via the e800 (for ogg etc). Is this currently possible? (God
> I hope so, the toshiba´s do work like this with ipods).

It does work, I've used my V1R with my NEC MobilePro P300 PocketPC which has
USB host and it works OK, you do need PPC USB mass storage drivers though,
which are freely available on the net. Also when I did this (about a year
ago), there was no decent PPC software that could manage 40GB+ of mp3z, I
even tried commercial "PocketMusic" which crashed and corrupted all of my
playlists etc.

> 1 as rockbox recorder rom standardly configured. And the second one as
> an ultra optimised external HDD only image.

Rockbox has no real control of the HD when in USB mode, there is a dedicated
USB to IDE bridge chip in the JB which controls the HD directly, all RockBox
does is hand over control to the USB chip, at which point it cannot "talk
to" the HD anymore.

> Anyone done this type of thing before. What type of battery life can I
> expect out of the rockbox running like this?

You will get a whopping 1 hour of battery life from this setup, becasue the
disk will not spindown in USB mode. What you could do is make a custom
build of RockBox that sets the internal ATA APM disk spindown to the lowest
value before handing over to the USB chip, which might allow the disk to
spin down in USB mode, I've been meaning to try this myself for ages, maybe
someone already has done it???

> New Zealand

Always a pleasure to help out a fellow kiwi.

Stu.