Subject: RE: Feature Request: USB HDD only Custom Rom.

RE: Feature Request: USB HDD only Custom Rom.

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:05:51 +0100

> Have you tried pocket divx???

No , I don't think it was around when I was playing with this setup, I have
totally lost interest in it for the time being anyway. The main problem was
the native PPC apps like the pocket explorer didn't cope too well with many
gigs of data.

> Would it be possible for rockbox to issue a disconnect to the IDE-USB
> Bridge, after X seconds of inactivity across the USB connection? In
> theory adding/hacking a sort of forced USB power management
> type thing?

In parctice, as soon a RockBox hands over control to the USB chip, it
doesn't know anything about what the HD is doing, so it doesn't know if
there is any activity and so it can't really just take control back willy
nilly. It only knows about when the USB cable is removed, then it takes
control back.

> The alternative is perhaps by modifying the Mass storage device drivers
> for PPC? If so any ideas how?

Yeah, that would be a big job as there are no open source PPC drivers last
time I looked.

> Kiwi ehh;-) where about your from?

I was a JAFA, but I live in the UK for now.

Stu.