Subject: Re: Updated: Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)
From: Brian Wolven (brian.wolven_at_verizon.net)
Date: 2004-08-28

Jens Arnold wrote:
> Hello Brian
>

>>Any idea how long will it be until there is a version of
>>rombox available using the new font format? (hint,hint...)
>

> Done :)

I'm now up to 1.811 MB RAM available for the buffer, using 300 FPD/4000
SPP. Are we reaching the point of diminishing returns yet? <g>

I'm curious, though - perhaps the solution is obvious and I'm being
dense, but I'll ask anyway (hasn't stopped me yet). When I replaced the
old font format with the new one, but hadn't yet ROLO'ed into the build
that uses the new format, how was the text being displayed on my
recorder? IOW, new font files, but the old format rockbox. I assume it
was just because I ROLO'ed the new one and reflashed *before shutting
down*, having booted with the old font/build, and it was using the old
format font - still in memory - until the ROLO?

This leads to the real question: if someone unzips the new build,
replaces the fonts, and then shuts down before flashing the new code,
what will they see when they restart? Is there a default display font,
or is it possible to get severely inconvenienced that way, i.e., having
to put back the old font format file via USB so you can then see what
you're doing in order to finish the update? And if so, should we perhaps
warn people not to do that - before it happens?