Subject: Ondio support feasible (was Re: ROMbox on the FM)
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-08-30

> You know, this may be an intersting topic. I have a feeling that the
> hardware oin the ondio is mostly the same as in the recorder v2.
>
> I did this one time and found someting very interesting:
> -Edit your scramble.c in /tools, and comment out lines 108 to 112
> (removes size limit), and run make
> -Download recorder v2 firmware from archos
> -Descramble it
> -Scramble it for your unit (mine is a recroder v1)
> -Rolo to it
>

> You will see it says it is an ondio fm at boot time, although the
> screen is upside down, and it crashes at boot.

This is _very_ interesting finding. I wasn't expecting that the Ondio is
derived from our recorder hardware.

Your experiment shows that the hardware must be very similar, including the
LCD connection. Are there any pictures of a dissected Ondio available
anywhere?

So very likely we could port Rockbox to it, for the sporty folks who have
trouble with a disk player. Although it's a bit overpowered for a device
that can hold only 2 albums.
The good part is that the NAND flashes are all alike, since they have a
8-bit parallel interface instead of a data and address bus. So the internal
memory could perhaps be upgraded .

Rockbox will have to at least learn some new tricks like:
- NAND flash driver (very likely to be used, if no CF card inside)
- FAT16 (we're likely to find that being used)
- MMC driver (for the expansion, can be done later)

Now where do I get an Ondio?

Jrg

--
NEU: Bis zu 10 GB Speicher fr e-mails & Dateien!
1 GB bereits bei GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail