Subject: Re: Hello. Help!
From: Kyle McGee (
Date: 2004-08-31

Hello -

Ok.. So this is VERY strange now..

I emailed about my batteries being dead. I was bored
of seeing the message 'not charging' come on the
screen of the Archox, so I tried something.

I have the Rockbox software flashed into ROM and the
message was coming from that software. So, I tried
turning it on with F1 pressed down to reload the
original software and the original software charging
screen came up..

So, I left it for some time and what do you know.. It
works! Is that strange or what? I have not given the
software a full charge yet as the power has been going
off and on a lot here. But, I was able to boot it up
with the Rockbox software and play a song. This is
really strange..

Maybe Rockbox software doesn't like unusual power
supplies? Maybe the batteries I replaced in Kathmandu
were actually fine.. Maybe there is a problem with the
Rockbox charging routine?!?

Any thoughts?

> Hello -
> I have a Archos recorder 20 and now I have some big
> problems.
> I live in India and have for the last 3 years. I
> used the recorder here and in Nepal, but the
> have consistently given me problems.
> First, they last only a few hours. Even with the
> software indicating that there are 10 hours left,
> recorder will surely last only a few hours.
> Second, the batteries have died now twice. The
> on the screen indicates 'not charging' when I plug
> in and the adaptor seems to be fine. The unit with
> other adaptors also indicates the same message. This
> happened in Kathmandu (Nepal)first and I replaced
> batteries with the same brand only a higher MA
> They have now died in India. I can not replace the
> batteries here, but I will have to wait until I
> a big city like Calcutta or maybe Bangkok.
> The original adaptor that I got was for US voltage,
> I bought a local adaptor in India that is 12 Volts
> 500ma.
> Could the adaptor be the source of the problems? The
> power often fluctuates here. Could this be ruining
> batteries?

Do you Yahoo!?