Subject: Re: iRiver - good? open?
From: Mat Holton (
Date: 2004-09-01

I find it slightly depressing that techy toys like mp3 players aren't designed to last a life-time.
It's obvious why the makers do this - if they lasted forever, why would anyone buy another mp3 player?

I think once features/size etc. become a standard, manafacturers will start making mp3 players last longer.
In fact it will probably eventually become a selling point: "Buy our mp3 player - it's unbreakable!"

If my archos lasted forever I would be happy - just need a bigger drive...

-----Original Message-----From: Christopher Moore <>To: Rockbox development <>Sent: 01/09/2004 16:24Subject: Re: iRiver - good? open?Another thing we should be looking for is a piece of hardware that won't

fall apart if you breathe on it the wrong way. His write-up on the I-river

wasn't too encouraging in that regard. While I love rockbox, I suspect my

archos will become a paperweight within a couple years. I've had a welkman

last for many years: why not an mp3 player. Disk drives and batteries

should be easily removable; buttons should't break after a few months, etc.

"ve seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die."

Surface Inspection Ltd