Subject: Re: iRiver - good? open?
From: blaou (
Date: 2004-09-02

The industry never did that with walkmen or CD-Players - they usually
broke down after 6-12 months (usually the time of guarantee) and still
everyone bought a new one just because you needed one and had now
choice. In fact, there's an economic term for it: built-in redundancy.
They test and build things so they break down after a certain time -
everything else would be silly!! They need to sell new stuff, that's how
the whole economic system works - selling & buying, selling & buying.
Every too good and longlasting a product kills a company on the long
term. Now with 2 years guarantee in Europe it might get better, but I
don't have hope....