Subject: Re: ROMbox / safe shutdown bug????

Re: ROMbox / safe shutdown bug????

From: Manuel Dejonghe <limbus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:36:57 +0200

Hi,
on Players and Recorders v1 you can take apart the batteries and
charge them in an external charger for usual batteries.
This just for anyone else reading the list, if I remember correctly,
you are actually driving a v2.

I suppose plugging in the charger just get's the rockbox booting up,
but failing before the charging procedure is beeing started, isn't it
?

Now this looks hard to fix.
Besides the possibility to open your device for taking apart the build
in LiIon-battery and charging it externally (hard job), I would try
(or ask the main developers about their meaning) to open the box, and
disconnect the hard drive, which takes the main part of power.
If rockbox doesn't need the harddisk for booting up (so no resume) it
may be it does not recognise it's missing, so it will charge the
batteries.
If it does recognise, it will certainly end up in an exception, not
beeing charging.

hope somebody of the core can help that out.
Manuel