Subject: V1R running on USB power possible.
From: Stuart Tedford (
Date: 2004-09-02

I'm getting annoyed with only being able to connect my V1Recorder to my PC
via USB for an hour or so before the batteries go flat. It just doesn't
give me enough time to do the things I want to, even on USB2. (eg,
defragment, copy loads of files, etc). I have an 80G disk in it.

So I'm thinking, why can't I connect the USB 5v to the disk via a diode or
something. If I use a shotky diode I could deliver about 4.7 volts to the
disk. I guess the main problem is the batteries which are also connected
directly to the disk. So maybe 4.7 volts via a diode and totally dead
batteries would be a problem, but one I could try to avoid by being aware of

Has anyone else tried doing this, or thought about it?