Subject: Re: V1R running on USB power possible.

Re: V1R running on USB power possible.

From: Manuel Dejonghe <limbus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:09:04 +0200

afaik, you are only allowed to take more than n mA when you asked for
it in the usb-protocol, and got them assigned, where n is somewhere
about 50 mA.

So probably those Toshibas are refusing (shutting down the ports) if
you take more than you requested.
Your second dummy plug pretty certainly has NO usb-chip to ask for the
power he's gonna drain.
I would not have the heart to plug this device to my computer, risking
to damage my mainboard. I would get a selfpowered USB-Hub for that
task (self powered means with a proper wall wart)

Manuel