Subject: Re: Building RomBox out-of-the-box
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2004-09-02

> I want to get the RomBox building into the CVS and general build scripts
> so that we can provide prebuilt rombox ucl files in the daily builds etc.

(Late honor for a feature I prepared in january), big credits to Jens for
improving Rockbox for it.

> I have a few suggestions on how to proceed to make this:
> 1 - We add the new .lds files to CVS, either as totally new files or as
> #ifdef'ed sections of the existing .lds, I haven't investigated if
> the
> latter makes sense. Possibly the two rombox .lds files could be a
> single
> one with #ifdefs for the models, similar to the existing
> file.

Yes, they differ only by the start address. The FM will have an again
different address, so 3 flavours.

> 2 - We add the modified uclpack.c source file to CVS to make it easier for
> everyone to build the rombox-version of uclpack. Alternatively, we
> make
> a simple perl-script that makes the equivalent of uclpack -none since
> there is no compression used for the Rombox version!

On a side note, I sent my patch to the author, together with some praise on
how nice his ucl is for our project, but got no response.

> 3 - The build script then dynamically checks if uclpack -none can be used
> and
> if it can, it builds a rombox.ucl similar to how it already builds
> rockbox.ucl. Since there are size limits, the build script should
> itself
> check (if possible) that the output rombox file is small enough to
> fit on
> target. This is important since different GCC versions output
> different
> sized files and I don't want to check for specific versions of gcc or
> similar.

Yes, that should be possible. The "rockbox.bin" file size plus the
model-specific start address (from the .lds) has to fit in the flash.

> Good enough? What did I forget?

gcc 3.3.1 recommendation, but we sortof covered that.

Thanks for the effort,

Supergünstige DSL-Tarife + WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR*
Jetzt zu GMX wechseln und sparen