Subject: Re: Smart Playlist -any progress? any takers?
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-09-02

> Those features would require a database of all the files that the unit
> contains, like say the iPod, and may be extremely slow on an Archos
> machine. Furthermore, Rockbox would need to access the HDD more often
> and therefore shorten the battery life (autonomy). The 2Mb of ram that
> the Archos units contain are not enough to afford a database-driven
> system.

But we have a disk, vast storage at hand.

> Maybe Rockbox's port to another type of unit (say iPod or
> iRiver) would make this possible, but right now the hardware is the
> limit. Rockbox allready does incredible things with my FMR, but it
> slowly tends to reach the hardware limits ;)

I don't think our hardware is limiting this feature.
The tables can be on disk, in whatever most directly accessible proprietary
format. "All" it takes is a developer with some database background (not me)
willing to go forward with that, and implement some suitable kind of
relational database model, plus all the frontend stuff.

Jörg

--
Supergünstige DSL-Tarife + WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR*
Jetzt zu GMX wechseln und sparen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl