Subject: RE: V1R running on USB power possible.
From: Stuart Tedford (stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk)
Date: 2004-09-02

> We had some postings on a similar subject:
> Your disks don't spin down if not accessed by the PC for a while?
> Mine does, I can leave it plugged without worrying about the
> battery. Or are you requiring continuous operation here?

I can't for the life of me get it to spin down when on USB.

I have convinced myself that the reason yours spins down is the disk. I
have a toshiba disk, and they don't seem to keep their APM settings after
power off. IBM disks do (when you use the IBM feature tool to set the APM
value to less than 0x80), becasue I have one in my external USB enclosure.
So when I use both JB and IBM_USB disk on the same WinXP computer, the
IBM_USB disk always spins down, whereas the JB with the Toshi disk never
does.

I've even toyed with the idea of writing my own utilitiy to do it, which I
think is very non-trivial for a USB disk.

Stu.