Subject: Drive won't spin-up again
From: Bob Allsopp (bob_at_allsoppy.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: 2004-09-03

I bought my second recorder off ebay and it was advertised as spares or repair.
It was originally a 6gig recorder, upgraded to 20gig using a IBM travelstar DJSA-220.
The recorder often randomly froze with ATA error: -11
Then I started getting "Dir buffer full"

I then connected the 20gig drive to my XP PC and re-partitioned, formatted(FAT32) and surfaced scanned without any problems.
The device now works until the drive has spun down. It won't then spin the drive up again, just freezes.

Finally, I have used the recorder with a spare 10gig Hitatchi DK23BA-10 and it works flawlessly.
Is this something to do with the drive power management or something more sinister?

Bob