Subject: Re: RomBox linker script

Re: RomBox linker script

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 10:31:42 +0200

Hello Daniel

>> Please check if it does work for you now. It works for me
>> (binutils 2.14), and the resulting binary seems to run fine,
>> but then I can test on recorder V1 only.

> Yes, it makes the build phase come through OK with 2.15. I
> can't test it on target though. My Archos isn't flashable...
> :-/

Then you would have to solder in a new flash chip, I guess :)

A further remark:

Line 28 in my patched rom.lds:

. = ALIGN(0x10); /* Maintain...

is possibly unnecessary. When I left this out, the resulting
binary still worked, and was 16 bytes smaller. This is due to
the fact that the default alignment of .text sections is 2^4,
though I wonder why this is. It has no advantages over long
alignment (2^2) on the SH1. However, if you leave this out,
the info within rombox.elf is no longer consistent - if you do

objdump -h rombox.elf

both addresses (VMA and LMA) would not match the alignment (last
column). If we can tolerate this (or figure out how to change
the default alignment), we could save the same few bytes for
ordinary rockbox too...

And of course, the comment should read:
/* Maintain proper _alignment_ for .text section */

Regards, Jens