Subject: Re: External Mic preamp?

Re: External Mic preamp?

From: Manuel Dejonghe <limbus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:25:32 +0200

Hi,

me too I am currently making some experiments with that.

The main problem is, as you already recognised, this is a line in, and
not for mics.
I bought an electret condenser microphone from sony (ECM-TS125) which
already has some kind of preamp. Unfortunately, this preamp is rather
a driver for the ecm. A normal ecm without that element would be very
weak on a mic in too.
I hoped, this element would raise the level high enough to get it
working on the line in. And it does, but still not high enough: If I
set up the gain to the max (+19,5 db) I still can normalize the
recorded file without having to cut out the peaks.

There are many preamplifiers, but not so much that are battery
powered, which is a not negotiable option for me.
There are some within high-professional-range with balanced xlr-plugs
as well as a digital breakout, but that's not what I need. Ok, it
would be fine, but it makes it not affordable anymore.
There are some around 50-100 euro on ebay, even within semi-professional range.
One of the cheapest solutions (30 euro) seems to be to buy the archos
microphone, which has a real amplifier and seems to be of a fair
quality, see the list for more comments.
I'll let you know if I am making progress.
One option is to design a small circuit myself. I'm not good with
that, but it may be the cheapest solution that meets my needs. I don't
specially need high quality.

regards, Manuel