Subject: Power failure shutdown problem
From: BlueChip (
Date: 2004-09-09

Before I start, I was running quite an old build when this happened, but as
I'm pretty sure of what the problem was...

My jukebox recently ran out of battery power while I was watching.
The "SHUTTING DOWN" splash appeared (which I thought was damn cool)
The problem is (well, I am pretty certain) that it attempted to spin up the
disk to write it's data before shutting down
Of course, the batteries were unable to do this, so the shutdown just hung
attempting to spin up the disk and failing again and again.
As the circumvention of this particular problem was why I thought "cool :)"
...I suggest that "shutdown on imminent power failure" should NOT attempt
disk access.

This may well be fixed or just a weird thing ...thought I'd mention it
though :)